Wednesday, January 16, 2013

French Toast-y

or.. "corn is not a vegetable"

A little backstory: I don't like eating at McDonald's. I really don't. My weakness in the past has been the Sausage McGriddle. If you haven't had it, it's like this syrup infused english muffin-like thing with a sausage patty of some kind in between. It's also about 11 points plus. That's OK if you want to blow half a days allotment (I get 28 now) of points on that and the salty but addictive hash brown patty that comes with it. I know, that's what the weeklies are for.. Honestly? I am long past wanting to waste points on stuff like that. So. No McDonald's for me, thanks!

So, a few nights ago we're at our local Safeway Grocery, we came across this French Toast Griddles:

We've had the English Muffin ones and those are pretty good, as far as processed breakfast foods go. While those are 6 points plus, the French Toast Griddlers are 7 points plus. Sean just realized you have to use the calculator, as the Weight Watcher barcode app calculates them incorrectly as 6. Since they were on sale we picked up a box of each.

I know this stuff isn't ideal. Food should probably be as basic and process-free as possible. I'm not a nutritionist so I don't claim to know anything, OK? A good rule I like is if you can't pronounce it, it probably isn't basic.. not to mention: "enriched" or "Partially hydrogenated" or my favorite.. "High Fructose Corn Syrup." ugh.

Freaking Corn Syrup or High Fructose Corn Syrup is in practically everything.. everything processed, so you can't really get around it much (other than not eat processed food). BUT, if you're going to eat processed food (everything in moderation!) these French Toast Griddlers aren't too bad. It heats up quick from the freezer and then just give it a minute or so to not burn your fingers on the thing eating it.

The 'french toast' is almost just like French Toast made at home (with bread, egg and cinnamon) in texture. Soft and spongy. Whatever processed whatnot they use to make it and the glaze make for a sweet and syrupy(?) sandwich. The patty is your typical processed turkey patty made from turkey 'bits' or whatever. We'd probably do better to make our own French Toast so we don't eat all the processed stuff they use to make the 'french toast' part, but there's just the two of us, and we don't keep eggs in the house.

Like any sugar cereal, these Griddlers are not really healthy unless you have some milk or fruit with it. So I got my Skim Milk. I guess the turkey patty provides some protein, so that's something. Also, they are almost half the points of what you get at McDonald's. So I would highly recommend these to my friends hankering for their fast food fix.

I like them enough I'll help Sean finish the box but I won't go out of my way to buy them unless they're on sale. Like McDonald's, they aren't something you want to eat every morning, but yummy enough to want to treat yourself to something 'naughty' now and again.

edited for points correction at 840am

No comments:

Post a Comment